Main Street's first store was established in 1853 with Ash Grove being incorporated in 1871.
The first settler on the present Ash Grove was Joseph Kimbrough, who established a store here in 1853. The first dwelling was built by Mr. Kimbrough. Afterward, the business at the store was conducted by Sheppard and Kimbrough. Then a Mr. Hyatt established a blacksmith shop, and the store, and the smithy comprised about all there was of Ash Grove until after the close of the Civil War.
February 2, 1870 the town was incorporated by the county court, but the incorporation was defective, and in May 1871, the court re-incorporated "The Town of Ash Grove." The small town feel of Ash Grove has remained throughout the years, even with many homes for sale, farms expanding and schools being built. Wonderful nature trails are found throughout the city and on the outskirts as well as biking trails and competitive sports competitions.