Little is known about how Republic got it's name. Some of the older residents say that Mark Ritter and his sister, Mrs. Worsefield, (the first postmaster and his assistant), named it. Still others say that Uncle Billy Cliborn gave it the name it now bears. Republic is located in the center of the township and in the midst, at that time, of a rich, thickly populated prairie and an excellent local trade. Republic, being situated on the Frisco Railroad, became a well-known shipping and traveling point.
The first flour mill was built in 1890 by R.C. Stone. Later it was remodeled and had a running capacity of 2,000 barrels every 24 hours. During the years between 1900 and 1907, the mill was operated night and day. At that time it was the largest flour mill in the Middle West, and carried the slogan "The World is Our Field." Flour was shipped out to all sections of the United States. The mill was in the large, brick building on the corner of Elm and Main Streets.
You will find that Republic is a fast-growing City with a current population of 14,751. Over the last 7 years the housing industry has brought a vast number of new residents into Republic. Over 5 new subdivisions with homes for sale have arisen and a brand new 60,000 sq. ft high school has been built to accommodate the growing community.