The town of Strafford was platted by the railroad to serve as a shipping and receiving point and as maintenance headquarters for the section of line. The railroad had ambitious plans for the new town of Strafford, platting 16 blocks containing 201 lots ranging from 2000 to 7500 square feet each. However, in the mid 1870’s about half of the blocks are vacated to be sold as larger tracts. Strafford is incorporated as a village in 1961 and now has a town government. In 1964 Strafford becomes a Fourth Class city. Construction activities and homes sales abound in the 1960’s. With the passage of the Federal Interstate Highway Act, construction of Interstate 44 begins with construction of a divided four lane highway and overpass on the north side of Strafford. Weigh stations are also constructed just east of town. The Eastgate motel, restaurant and service station is built northeast of the new interchange in the early 1960’s. Two additional service stations are built south of interchange to serve the increasing traffic on the new interstate highway. Strafford R-VI School District builds an industrial arts building, two elementary additions, gymnasium and bus garage in the period from 1959 to 1967. The new millennium ushers in a growth period of residential housing and retail trade. The Strafford R-VI School District constructs early childhood facilities in 2000 and a middle school expansion and fine arts facility in 2006 to accommodate this growth.