My Dream House is Amazing: A Gen Z Interview by Murney AssociatesWhen buyers are looking for their dream homes, agents are constantly challenged by different opinions of family members as to what
A Day Trip to Missouri: Hermann Maifest 2022
Dated: April 28 2022
A Day Trip to the Missouri Heartland. Maifest in Hermann, MO.
A popular, festive tradition that wraps itself around the hearts of visitors and residents alike is the Maifest, a German spring festival honored in Hermann, Missouri. On May 20-22, 2022, the 2,386 residents of Hermann will once again welcome visitors from all over the country to honor Hermann’s German heritage by celebrating the beginning of warm weather. If you’re looking for a way to celebrate the coming of spring, the Hermann Maifest is a perfect opportunity to enjoy a day trip in Missouri.
Where is Hermann, Missouri?
Just 3 hours northeast from Springfield, MO—Hermann is nestled in the rolling hills surrounding the banks of the Missouri River. The city of Hermann can best be described as a “village with breathtaking views, where 19th-century brick buildings line the sidewalks just as they do in Germany.” It’s no wonder National Geographic designated Hermann as one of America’s “Adventure Towns,” acknowledging it as a “Missouri-style nod to Europe’s cycling-and-wine culture”.
Why You Should Make a Day Trip for Hermann Maifest
German Culture and Traditions in Hermann’s History
The German festival of Maifest has been a Hermann tradition for over 30 years. Residents celebrate their German history, leading back to 1837 when a group of immigrants first settled the town.
Hermann Maifest 2022: What to Expect
What’s not to love about the rich German culture? You’ll experience it in the festival’s music and food and feel the joy as you watch the Main Street parade. Even wallflowers of the dance floor find themselves drawn to live German music and dancing in the street. Of course, there’s also the Maifest Maypole! This tradition features a children’s celebratory dance as they decorate the pole with ceremonial ribbons.
The town’s streets are lined with local vendors and artists, selling handmade crafts, watercolor paintings, homemade sausages, breads and pastries, and of course, local craft biers and weins. That’s right…did we mention the local wineries and distilleries of Hermann?
Here’s a sample of the sampling you can do…
Local Wineries and Distilleries in Hermann
- Hermannhof Winery offers award-winning wines in its magnificent, historic stone cellars and structures.
- Stone Hill Winery produces award-winning wines from the highest hilltop overlooking the town of Hermann.
- Bias Winery, family-owned and operated, produces their wines from their own vineyards, just 600 ft. from the winery.
- Adam Puchta Winery sits on the banks of Frene Creek and is the oldest continuously-owned family winery in the United States.
- Endless Summer Winery is a family-owned winery just outside of town, specializing in fruit wines.
- Copper Mule Distillery honors the Kallmeyer family’s Missouri mules that have grazed the property since 1910. Best Bourbon in Hermann.
- Fernweh Distilling Company is Hermann’s first craft distillery, featuring tastings, house-smoked meats, and a full-service bar with cocktails, craft brews, and local wines. Patio seating available!
Experience all the festivities of the Hermann Maifest in a day trip or turn it into an overnight adventure. Hermann is home to many quaint, comfortable B&Bs, historic inns, homes, and campgrounds—all available for your stay. If you want to add to the adventure, you can also consider taking Amtrak from Sedalia to Hermann.
Looking for another Maifest in Missouri? Check out the Midwest Maifest on May 15th! It’s a one-day festival located in New Town in St. Charles, MO.
Cheers! or better yet, “Prost!” to an amazing spring in the Ozarks!
About Murney Associates, Realtors®
No one loves the Ozarks more than Murney Associates. We enjoy highlighting all that makes this the best place to live, work, play, and learn.